Results tagged ‘ Playoffs ’
The Redbirds are giving Memphis something it hasn’t seen since 2000, a playoff-caliber professional baseball team. So don’t spend your weekend on the standard gimmicks of exotic foods or monkeys riding dogs. Instead take a trip to AutoZone Park and see a team that represents Memphis on a national level. Come support your Memphis Redbirds!
The Redbirds first playoff game against the Albuquerque Isotopes starts Wednesday at 8:05 pm CST and can be viewed on Milb.tv or heard on Steve Selby’s radio broadcast available on Sports 560AM. The Redbirds will return to AutoZone Park Friday night for the only promised playoff game in Memphis. Games four and five, if necessary, will be at AZP on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets here.
Now, a Memphis Redbirds playoff history lesson.
The team’s last ride through the PCL postseason was a very fortuitous one, with the last game leaving a mark on AZP forever, literally…a red mark.
We’ve all seen it, all alone and out of place like Kenny Loggins at a hip-hop show. I’m talking about AZP’s red seat, the only one in the stadium, down the right field line. It wasn’t always red, and unless one gets right up next to it, they may not know its significance.
Up 2-1 in the five-game series, Pujols’ solo jack won the ‘Birds their first and only PCL Championship on September 15, 2000.
Unfortunately the team’s success did not hold forth and for the following eight seasons, while the other teams were playing well into September, AutoZone Park lay dormant.
The 2009 Redbirds squad put an end to this sour streak last Saturday night by clinching the PCL’s American North division.
And if things go just right, perhaps the park will have two red chairs in 2010.
- Like 2009, the Redbirds first round opponent was against Albuquerque (the Dukes). The series went five games with the ‘Birds winning the opener and the final two.
- The Redbirds went 6-10 against Albuquerque in the 2009 regular season and hit .253 against the ‘Topes. The 2000 Redbirds were also 6-10 against ABQ.
- Albert Pujols hit the most recent Memphis Redbirds post-season home run on 9/15/00.
- Stubby Clapp is the only Redbird to have recorded a triple in the post-season.
- Albert Pujols holds the team’s most post-season stolen bases with three.
- Stubby Clapp has the Redbirds most post-season home runs with three.
- Bud Smith and Bryan Eversgerd are the only two Redbirds pitchers to record more than one postseason win, each with two.